4/01/2009

Day 84 - The hummingbird feeder goes up on April 1st


All of our neighbors put up their hummingbird feeders today so that means I do too. I love watching them in the summer!! I took this photo of this hummingbird in Charlie's hand last year. It had flown into the garage and could not figure out how to get out. We put up the hummingbird feeder in the garage and he finally came down to get a drink and Charlie swooped him up in his hand. Somehow I managed to get this shot. Pretty neat huh?

I don't buy those expensive red hummingbird foods in the store, I make my own and here is the recipe:

Hummingbird Food

1 cup sugar
4 cups water

Stir ingredients together in small pan. Boil together for 1 minute. Let cool. This makes alot so I add it to the feeder, then put the rest in the refrigerator. Be sure to change it every few days when it gets hot outside. I have always had ALOT of hummingbirds and can't wait to see my first one in a couple of days.

1 comment:

Pam said...

We get hummingbirds year round here - they are so fun to watch! Graceful yet willing to fight to the death for their territory!